Sunday 6 February 2011

Illustration Friday: Surrender


For this topic i wanted to create an image that was personal to me. After thinking of numerous ways that i could portray surrender, i looked at the meaning of surrender which means giving up. I came up with the idea of 'giving up' on life after suffering with an illness. In the form of one of my dogs who died due to cardiomyopathy. The image was sketched onto brown paper and then i used pencil colours to finish the image which took just under six hours in total. I also created another image which i created with paints but i felt was a lot less succesful therefore i put forward this image to be my Illustration Friday.
After a group critique i was told that i need to draw more of the dog into the image (although what i'd drawn as my picture was all that was available that in the photograph i had used.) It was also made clear that without reading my blog to see the story behind why i chose to draw this for Surrender it would be unclear as to why i had chosen to draw my dog.

No comments: